Friday, June 22, 2012

DIY repurposed herb planters

Over the course of the past week my friend Aaron and I (you can check him out here!) have been transforming tea tins into herb planters. These are a few that he had previously made in action.


To get started you will need:
  • Tea tins, we chose to use Tazo's full leaf tins
  • Drill
  • Screws, we used wood screws because they seem to work better
  • Screwdriver
  • Strong Stik, available at Home Depot

The first thing you'll do is drill eight holes into the bottom of your tea tin. One in each corner where you will later add screws and four in the center for drainage.

    

Next, use your handy-dandy screwdriver to add screws to each corner of your tin. We eyeballed ours but left roughly an inch of the screws out so they could act as feet to attach the drip tray.

 

Once your screws are in place, use the strong stik to reinforce the them. We left ours to dry overnight but the glue should be solid within 90 minutes.


Dab a bit of strong stik on the end of each screw and gently set the tin on top of the lid to create a drip tray. Play the waiting game for a bit longer and ta-da, your planters are all done!!


Now it’s time to get creative and decorate your new indoor garden!! For our tins we started by taping off the top and bottom, then we gave each tin a few coats of Krylon Chalkboard paint (be sure not to spray too close or you will get some weird drippage!)



Let dry, remove tape, and chalk it up!!


A big thank you to Aaron for sharing this project with me, helping me make my own, and manning the drill the majority of the time!





5 comments:

  1. I found your blog through your comment on peasoupeats and I'm happy I checked it out
    This is a great craft that I might have to try some time! (oh...and I'm your first follower on bloglovin':)

    alex
    http://louise-amabilis.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (I didn't even know about bloglovin' until now, still learning!)

      I just checked out your blog and I'm in love with the dresses that you make! Can't wait to see more!

      Delete
  2. I know you're just starting out with this blog, but it is really coming together, this DIY is great so when I had to choose some blogs to nominate for "awards" I choose yours as one of them :)
    You can check out the details in my latest entry

    xo
    Alex
    p.s.: Don't feel obligated to participate...it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by again!

    Since it's been a while here's the proper link to the award info : http://louise-amabilis.blogspot.com/2012/06/like-i-mentioned-yesterday-lovely.html

    ReplyDelete