Friday, June 8, 2012

Ombre' love

We haz interwebs again! Hooray!

I did manage to make good use of my time without it though.... TA-DA!


Everywhere I look I see this ombre' trend... like herehere, and here! (Can't wait to make a couple of those embroidery samplers!) I even noticed new ombre' decor walking past Urban Outfitters the other day. It's all over the place, and I love it.

Our washroom was in need of a little color so we picked out an aqua colored bathmat and some matching hand towels... then I decided to take it a little further with some fun, ombre', open storage!

I had two old milk crates laying around, picked up some spray paint last time I left town (can't buy it in Chicago, what a pain) then spent some time painting!


After making sure all the dust as dirt was off the crates, I gave them a quick coat of primer. Using a Krylon gloss paint color, Global Blue, I painted the a little more than the bottom third of the crates. The nozzles on these cans were perfect for my project (so many tiny spaces) because they rotate around so you can paint at any angle! I let my first color dry for a few hours then moved on to Blue Ocean Breeze. After going through the same process I moved on to plain ol' white.

I let everything dry overnight and then gave it a quick wipe down with a damp rag. Zip-ties are a simple solution for holding it together, and after being trimmed and painted they are pretty much invisible. 

I'm quite happy with how it turned out and really glad I was able to repurpose the milk crates which were previously an eyesore! I will say that next time I paint plastic I'll be sure to get this product instead (my bad) which doesn't require the coat of primer and bonds to the surface better.

Anyways, I found out a ton of kids live in our new neighborhood...


...which means the ice cream truck frequently roams the streets. I'm truly looking forward to a summer full of waffle cones. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment